Tuesday, September 27, 2005

BLT Please

Satuday night was The Gossip show at X-Space. The Gossip were great, lots of fun all around. We Are Wolves were total poo. I just didn't get it, it was so cheesy. They were lucky that i was an all ages show because the audience was eating up everything. I would be curious to see these guys infront of a different audience. French electroclash? What is this, 2003? Also, holy shit Bush League. They sounded so good and brought tons of energy. Funny to see Darren perform infront of a bunch of 16 year old female Gossip fans. He will be the subject of many conversations to their friends "so i went to see The Gossip and this weird band opened and their singer kept putting his head up people shirts and rubbing their heads and trying to dance with people and grind with them." Mikey and I DJed at the afterparty next door. It was a decent time, save for my shit box of a mixer which kept cutting out. I really can't rely on that thing for anymore gigs. As the night wore on the crowd got weirder - lots of odd characters seemed to find their way. I guess the word of late beer spreads quickly.

Next morning (well, afternoon) Aurora and I went searching for breakfast. We made it to the Stem only to be dissapointed by a locked door. The place we decided on after that was Java. She said that she liked the food but I couldn't get my head around it. SO many things wrong. First of all I didn't know it was possible to fuck up a BLT but they did a good job at it. For some reason they fry their bread in butter instead of toasting it, so it has this weird grilled butter taste and odd crunchy texture. The texture makes the sandwhich fall apart when you try to bite it. Also, there was no mayo! What the shit is that? The bacon was too fatty and chewy so when i tried to take a bite the whole piece would pull out of the sandwhich. Also they don't have french fries, only home fries and they were pretty average. I ordered a "Fresh Grapefruit Juice" from the menu for 2.75 and what arrived was just Ocean Spray from a bottle sweetened juice. I suppose it was "fresh" in the sense that the bottle was likely opened in the recent past, but I was dooped into thinking I was getting freshly squeezed.

Later that evening I got a call from Jess and we decided that we should meet up later for a bite. The Vesta Lunch was soon picked as the destination due to its convienent proximity between our respective houses. After scanning the menu I thought that the only right thing to do was order a BLT to cheer me up and renew my faith in the sandwhich after the awful Java meal earlier. We decided since we both were about half hungry that we would order one to split. We go the patrician, which is basically a BLT club style with cheese. The Vesta man (George?) was very nice to us and cut it in half and divided the fries and closeslaw onto two seperate plates for us. The sandwhich was just what I needed, a perfect BLT in every way. The Vesta's fries leave something to the imagination, nothing too exciting and their coleslaw wasn't great either, kinda oily.

The time to get over to the East side for some more diner action is now - Jim's, The Patrician and Gale's are next on the list.

Tonight I have listened to lots of Son House, good late night stuff.

No comments: