Thursday, September 01, 2005

Now shows us some love

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Ben Bowles shows us some love

DITD was good times last week. Lots of people but many of them drawn out back by Thymelesses studly back patio. Not as much dancing as last month but people were still having a good time so its all good.

This morning I was woken at 8am on the dot by roofers banging away next door. Its 1pm now and they're still going. Our kitchen window faces the house next door (landlord's house) that is being re-roofed. Everything that was on the kitchen counter is covered by a fine layer of black dust because the kitchen window was open. Thats great.

Back in the spring I was crate digging at the old Goodwill on Javis at by the pound and came home with a huge stack of records. I was a little suprised that they were a dollar each. No 'by the pound' deal for the records I guess. Last time I was at the Goodwill in London the records were 5 for a dollar or something crazy like that. Thats the price that they have to be if they actually want to move and volume of old records. Anyways, one of the records I got at By The Pound was the song Monday Night Football by Hurt 'Em Bad and the S.C. Band. Now I didn't know anything about this track at the time but bought it based on a few things. Its from 1982 on Profile (cool old school Profile logo) and is called Monday Night Football! Well after giving it a spin when I got it home I discovered that it was mos def worth the $1. The vocal side is rather cheesy as is the case with a lot of old dance records, but the flip is out of control. A huge bumping bass electro funk monster that runs almost ten minutes. Some killer vocoder action comes in near the end to bring things home. Playing this record out a few weeks ago Jason pointed out that i was sampled by Cee-Lo. I think thats what he said. Or maybe Camp-Lo, i'm not sure.

No comments: