Sunday, March 26, 2006

V for Verses

Today I had lunch at The Stem with Aurora. I ate at friend egg sandwich with cheddar chesse on toasted brown bread. It came with a side of fries and some pickles. I drank 3 cups of coffee, one glass of fresh squeezed OJ and one glass of water. Needless to say everything was great and The Stem continues to not dissapoint. Everything is always consistent there - quick service, concise, dependable menu, great food and great value. It is perhaps the best all around diner in the city.

Something that is not easy to find in Toronto is a good smoked meat sandwich. Now I do admit that my standards are very high after enjoying world class smoked meat at Katz's Deli in NYC's Lower East Side and Montreal's Schwartz's over the last few years. Perhaps this is why I was so dissapointed by the offerings of the Bloor St's Mel's Montreal Dellicatessen. On their menu they make the claim that their smoked meat is directly imported from Montreal. Now this really doesn't mean anything, as it could easily just come from a Montreal supermarket. They also make a big deal about how their meat is handcut against the grain in order to retain juicyness, etc. If you have to go to these lengths to explain how and why your product is so good its probably not actually that good. The places that have the best food are always the most modest. They know the food is good, their customers know its good but they don't brag about it. The Meat at Mel's was cut into slick, smooth slices that looked like ham from a supermarket. There was no noticeble "smoked meat style" texture. I was supremely dissapointed.
Jump ahead to a few months later...the New Yorker Deli. Hidden on Bay St. just south of Bloor I'm sure this is a popular spot with those employeed around here. The "New York" theme is a little kitschy but the sandwiches are fantastic. Definately the best smoked meat I've had in Toronto. Big portions of fatty, tender meat, light rye, yellow mustard and great fries and cole slaw. Its not cheap, I think the aformentioned combo runs around 11 bucks with tax or something, but man is it a nice treat to have once and a while. The New Yorker will have to tide over my smoked meat cravings until I make it back to Montreal or New York.

2 comments:

dthuss said...

...or you hire your own personal butcher.

Anonymous said...

11 bucks, oi! But, I'm a sucker for a montreal smoked meat sandwich. If you say it's that good, I'll believe you.

Maybe when we're in Toronto next, we can partake in this tasty sandwich?